Today we are diving into the common core. From my notes, I have synthesized this info:
- K-5 equal balance between info and literary text; Gain shared rich knowledge in vocal
- Shift in instruction/share the burden: same theme in 6-12; science and history teachers take stronger role in reading and writing
- Advancement in reading= advancement in text complexity. Level of text difficulty they can master (far beneath in high schools than what is expected in college) MY question…how is this “career readiness”?
- Focus on text based answers; require carefully reading the text; what has gotten lost is careful analysis of the text and how much knowledge and evidence is gained from the text
- Writing from sources: narrative writing (opinion or your experience), argumentative (can you convey complex information clearly) Writing to argue or writing to inform
- Academic vocabulary is at the core and “true language of power”; crucial vocabulary is domain specific, academic vocabulary,
Read like a detective…write like a reporter: Read_detective_write_reporter